The Coady School Residences
The Historic Coady School, built in 1905 as the town’s first separate public high school, is large two-story, Georgian Revival brick building with a rear cross-gable (now called the connector) and was one of the first schools on Cape Cod to reflect the modern trend toward school consolidation. A gymnasium wing was added to the rear of the building in 1934, at the same time that the main school building was renovated after suffering a fire. The total gross area of the pre-existing building that was converted to housing units was approximately 62,000 gsf.
The Coady School main building is being sensitively renovated per National Park Service Guidelines for Historic Renovation, and expanded to the rear to provide a total of 58 units of new housing and support services. The new construction portion is a 3 story, wood framed plus basement with masonry fiber cement siding which adds an additional 38,000SF.
Some of the challenges presented to the project were remediation of lead and asbestos used in the original building construction as well as the restoration and reinstallation of the structures historic windows. Dellbrook | JKS produced mockups for the client’s approval prior to completing these historic scopes of work.
The preserved historic facade and the original school structure will provide continued service and pride to the community.
Upon completion, the 100,000 square foot residences will feature 58 affordably priced units consisting of 1 studio unit, 31 one bedroom units, and 26 two bedroom units. The Property will serve Bourne and the surrounding area’s senior population (age 55+).
Architect: ICON Architecture
Owner: Stratford Capital Group LLC
Location: Bourne, MA