West Falmouth Library Addition, Renovation, Restoration
Located in the West Falmouth Historic District and the National Register District, the West Falmouth Library was established in 1891 and at its inception the Library possessed 800 books. Supported by townspeople and summer residents alike, the present Library building was built and dedicated in 1896. Our restoration project included construction in multiple phases of a lateral addition to, and interior and exterior renovations of the existing building along with associated site improvements.
The two-story, wood framed,major 2000 square foot addition at the southeast corner of the existing building provides a ground level accessible entrance/entry vestibule, a passenger elevator, a new communicating stair for general circulation between floors, new Men’s and Women’s accessible toilet rooms on both floor levels, a climate controlled archive storage and workroom (lower level), a quiet reading room, and additional shelving/circulation materials space. The completed project totals 5,600 square feet.
Interior space renovations included installation of an automatic fire suppression system throughout; renovation of the lower level Multi-purpose Room; an enlarged Children’s Area; an enlarged Circulation desk and staff work area; a relocated Audio/DVD Circulation area; a relocated / reconfigured Kitchen; new Storage for Community Room events; a new Coffee Bar; and restoration of the historic Community Room and Main Reading Room.
Site work included clearing; structural excavation, backfill, and grading; installation of principal underground building utility and drainage systems / services; a new on-site sewage disposal system, new retaining wall(s); construction of new Terraces and sidewalks; restoration of parking areas; and, landscape construction / site development. Construction was completed in June, 2017.
Architect: Brown, Lindquist, Fennucio & Raber Architects, Inc.
Owner: West Falmouth Library
Location: West Falmouth, MA